Upper Grinsty Farm


SP 02327 65637

Lower Grinsty Lane Redditch B97 5PJ

Location Now

Pre-New Town Location

Click image to Enlarge

Information about this Farm:

Next Back


The Bromsgrove, Droitwich and Redditch Messenger – Saturday 11th September 1915

Upper Grinsty Farm, Walkwood, Headless Cross – Farm Stock – To be sold by Auction

Morton Stanley Park is a public park located to the north of Callow Hill. It was opened in 1986 and is run by Redditch Borough Council, however it is not owned by them. The land today that makes up Morton Stanley Park, was once Upper Grinsty Farm, which was bought in 1913 by William Morton Stanley. Stanley was a rich factory owner and retired to Upper Grinsty and lived the rest of his life there. In 1921, he edited his will, which resulted in Upper Grinsty Farm being given to the people of Redditch and Webheath. Stanley died three years later at the age of 84, little did he know his land would not be open to the public until over 60 years later. Upper Grinsty Farmhouse, became derelict and run-down until it was finely demolished in 1959. 5 years later when Redditch became a New Town, the Development Corporation wanted to build a housing estate on his land, however these plans were haulted by the Headless Cross Residents Association. In 1978, the far-eastern fringes of Stanley's land was in fact built on, but Reddicth Council gave council owned land to the west of the estate to compensate. Windmill Drive was built and after 60 years of waiting the park opened to the public with two carparks, one in the east in Headless Cross and one in the west in Callow Hill

Click image to enlarge