Oxleasowes Farm


Location Now

Pre-New Town Location

Click image to Enlarge

Information about this Farm:

Next Back

OXLEASOWES FARM, with its drive off Brockhill Lane, was in the hands of George Taylor and his wife Elizabeth until 1925. Then, for many years it was farmed by the Webb family, at first by Ernest Webb (died 1948), then by his wife and their son Dennis until his early death in 1959.

In 1960 the farm was bought by Leslie Boffey of Cherrytrees Farm. Farming at Oxleasowes ceased in 1974, following which 120 acres of the land was sold, some to the Waterworks near the Old Wharf, some to John Whittaker of Stoney Lane Farm. Another 78 acres, including two fields on the east side of the drive, have been let to Keith Tolley of Brockhill Farm. Two redundant farm buildings are occupied by a car repair business.

A film, "The Canal Children", was made on the farm by the BBC around 1980 for children's television. The line of vision between the farmhouse and nearby Blakenhurst Prison was deliberately blocked by the creation of a copse of various interesting trees near the house soon after the prison opened.

Source: A Hundred Years In Tardebigge – The Revd Alan White